Monday, October 12, 2009

The Art of Eating

M.F.K. Fisher didn't know what a shirataki noodle is, and perhaps you don't either, which is why I'm blogging about this wonderful little food.

Real foodies will know that The Art of Eating is a collection of essays by M.F.K. Fisher (1908-1992). She was one of America's best known food writers - ever. It is largely autobiographical, and includes commentary and recipes from her life and travels and is, in my opinion, a damned good read. Whether you cook or just love to eat, take a glance. The narrative is far more important in this book than the recipes.

But when M.F.K. Fisher was eating and writing, shirataki noodles were non-existent, at least the tofu shirataki was. For those of us following a low-carb diet due to weight loss or, in my case, diabetes (I'm still not on meds....diet controlled so far), or gluten intolerance, giving up pasta, rice, and potatoes can be devastating. For me, it's been pasta - until now.

Nothing beats a plate of pasta but it can spike your insulin and cause havoc for foodies with gluten intolerance. And nothing compares to really good quality pasta. Tofu shirataki is close, not perfect, but close enough for me. Finally, I have something to slap bolognese sauce on. House Foods is the brand I use.

Photo courtesy of House Foods

They are in your local supermarket wherever they stock cold foods, tofu, and those interesting little bits of odd health food hot dogs, etc. (and if not, ask for them) or you will find them in all good health food stores. Here are the stats on tofu shirataki noodles:

Water packed in plastic, not freezable
2 servings per 8 oz. package
20 calories, 3 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber per serving (you can eat the entire bag!)
No cholesterol
No sugar
Gluten free
Vegan
Dairy free
10% calcium

Tofu shirataki comes in three styles: Spaghetti, Fettuccine, Angel-Hair

I think these were originally designed for use in Asian dishes but I've had them with my mother's bolognese sauce recipe and they are really good. As I said, finally I have something to put the sauce on because I'd grown accustomed to just eating it as is. I've made the noodles with garlic, olive oil, and pecorino romano. And shrimp. And chicken. The endless possibilities. So its up to you to be creative and check the tofu shirataki link above and search out recipes. You truly are limited only by your imagination.

The one and only drawback is this: they aren't made from semolina so they do have a slight textural difference. Whether its the liquid they are packed in or the way they are made, something gives them an Asian aroma, that hard-to-pinpoint fishy aroma but all you need to do is rinse them well and stick them in boiling water for no more than 2 minutes. And the texture has been described as rubbery. However - however - who cares? Get over it! It's better than no pasta at all and you can adjust to just about anything when you have to or, at least, I can.

They are divine in soup, and if you have children they're a healthy alternative in mac and cheese. So, while I won't really endorse a food, I would like to encourage you to try these because they're good, inexpensive (and aren't we all trying to trim a bit of fat in all areas?) and they are quick to prepare.

If you do try them, be fair, do a good job in your kitchen, be creative, and let me know what you think. If you're a true foodie, you will find a way to love them because they are a viable opportunity to have "pasta" without guilt and, as Martha would say, "it's a good thing".

Namaste'

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Miracle Noodles? They are the non-tofu classic shirataki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried them. However, the tofu shirataki is more available for me and the brand I selected seems to be the most popular. For anyone reading this, please view Google "Miracle Noodle" and see the numerous articles on that specific product. www.hungry-girl.com has fantastic info on tofu shirataki and shirataki in general is a great noodle. Thank you for your comment, it provides us with other options - I personally prefer the tofu shiratiki. Happy you're a reader!

    ReplyDelete