Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy 2010

My goodness, its 2010. I think about the year of my birth and I'm astounded to be here, and grateful. Of the list of people I know who read this blog, several faced great challenge in 2009 and others have prospered. For me, 2009 was split down the middle and I'm reminded that with all challenge, opportunity seems to be right there along with it depending on how one approaches their life.

I don't make New Year's resolutions. Not really. But I do take stock of things and consider what to let go of: habits that don't serve me, false expectations, superfluous relationships, and what to develop: an ethical income stream, passion for new ideas, improved resilience, healthier relationships. And, as always, I revisit my health and how to tweak it, how to take what I've learned in the past year and be kinder to my body, my mind, my "self" because if I've learned anything it is that I'm the only one who can.

Embarking on my annual enlightening re-read of what has moved me in the past and still resonates, I want to mention A Joseph Campbell Companion - Reflections on the Art of Living....






Don't think of what's being said,
but of what's talking.
Malice, Ignorance, Pride, Love?
The goal of a hero's journey
is yourself, finding yourself.
(Page 154)



Campbell, as you may know, was a celebrated scholar and mythologist and so much more. Even if you don't read his works, reading about his life is fascinating and inspiring (at the link above at his name).

The privilege of a lifetime is being
who you are
The goal of the hero trip
down to the jewel point
is to find those levels in the psyche
that open, open, open,
and finally open to the mystery
of your Self
being Buddha consciousness
or the Christ.
That's the journey.
(Jacket back and elsewhere)


I've always loved Campbell. He was not a religious man. He was a man of profound belief in the mystery of life. He is always a comfort on long nights of contemplation and sunny days when I want to celebrate all the beauty I see around me. Unlike many philosophical fads, Campbell never fades. His words age and seem to me to be a breath of support at the beginning of another year of economic uncertainty as we move along our own paths. Life truly is our journey, at least in my mind, and all that we do is ours. If you haven't read Campbell, you might want to now. And if you have, isn't it wonderful to have an old friend to come back to.




Namaste'

(and Happy, Happy New Year, we begin again......)

No comments:

Post a Comment