Monday, January 18, 2010

A Day of Service

I'd written what I thought was a good blog entry for today. I've decided instead to say little of my own and quote a few people of merit. You can put it all together as you'd like. I will say this without political or religious agenda: Today was to be a day of service. What have we done today to serve the world?

An excerpt from Martin Luther King's 1967 speech, "Where Do We Go From Here"

"John Kenneth Galbraith said that a guaranteed annual income could be done for about twenty billion dollars a year. And I say to you today, that if our nation can spend thirty-five billion dollars a year to fight an unjust, evil war in Vietnam, and twenty billion dollars to put a man on the moon, it can spend billions of dollars to put God’s children on their own two feet right here on earth."


"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."
John F. Kennedy
"I believe that every human mind feels pleasure in doing good to another."
Thomas Jefferson
When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?
Eleanor Roosevelt
_______

Gift Of The Seagull
by Munda

A lonely seagull flies the winds
Majestic... soaring...gliding wings
A single screech sounds from the sky
Come fly with me... come here and fly
My spirit floats to be a part
I feel the beating of its heart
My soul, one with this bird of sea
Now knows the meaning to fly free
I feel the winds caress my soul
And soar the streams without a goal
My being trembles of delight
A treasure I received tonight
The seagull's flight of soaring high
The gift of what it means to fly
Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment