Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Art In New Places

I'm excited about 2010. I'm looking forward to new things, new art, discoveries that cause me to feel refreshed. I'm grateful for 2009 for many reasons but now I'm ready to be surprised in a different way. As always, I'm inspired by art that I find in unsuspected places, art done with a twist, or simply done well. We live in such a technological age. Our brains race, our days rush by like a swarm of bees on fire and I think, for me, it feels good to see an old thing made new again without all the embellishment of technology although I do love technology so.

I came across Nate Holmes Trapnell while looking for something else which, I think, is the preferred way to find anything. because we tend to find what we need. At least that is how life works for me.

Born in San Francisco, my family moved to New York when I was three years old. This might explain much to many about my wanderlust and my split addiction to both coasts. My New York childhood included growing up in small neighborhoods packed with Jewish and Italian delicatessens, streets alive with cafes, bakeries of every ethicity, movie theaters, pool halls and bowling alleys, not to mention street chalk and pizza parlors and diners. The walk from one business to the other was always a short one. Trains and cars weren't needed. Nate Holmes Trapnell, "The South Paw" has brought back to life the art of pen and ink, the medium I began with when I was a young girl leaving images on all surfaces in an attempt to figure out who I was. Although I was never quite this good.

Take a look at these illustrations so brilliantly placed on bowling pins. I saw these and immediate remembered the first time I shocked local "boys" by winning at pool. Nice memories. Isn't that part of what art does? Take us someplace wonderful? Maybe someplace sweet or sad, but surely wonderful? I think so. My goodness. Pen and ink. Basic and brilliant. Even if its not your type of art, look at what the man's done. Original, art on something that doesn't hang on the wall, that isn't contrived or complicated. It is, however, a show of real talent. Like tattoo art, it is alive in a way that is unexpected. I hope you enjoy these and if you are curious about what else Nate Holmes Trapnell puts his images on, please check him out at the link at his name.

It's January. I'm happy already......

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment