Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving

You probably received this already. It was, however, sent by the cat, prematurely, and we both apologize. Now, hopefully, the intended adjustments have been made.....

Here we are again in that place where the holidays have begun. Wow. Time passes so quickly. I always think I have so much of it then boom, some deadline has arrived. But that's me. Maybe you're prepared, have shopped, planned, organized. My mother was that way. Apparently, I didn't inherit that gene. And my mother would not have liked my blog. She would have wanted me to be polite at all costs.

Just about everyone I know has been impacted by the economy this year. Jobs, health, crossroads. Seems to be a theme for a number of people. In thinking about this week's blog I did some soul searching. What can I say that doesn't push my politics or belief system, since I've had much of that from others lately? What type of art can I pass along? What discovery? What's in my heart this week? Or, as Pink Floyd would say "Is there anybody in there?" It is, after all, my blog and what I say needs to be honest and unhidden since I've learned not to live with secrets.

I don't know if you're going to be eating turkey or tofurky, whether you'll be eating out, not observing, or yawning at the entire idea of celebrating Thanksgiving. Maybe you live in another country and the point is moot. Personally, I'm roasting a chicken with some veggies and later eating the low sugar equivalent of pumpkin pie, crustless , yet yummy (I have dark chocolate hidden in the cupboard). However, next year I think I'll visit a homeless shelter and do something useful. Perhaps. But for now, the title of the following familiar artwork by Norman Rockwell, this vision we all grew up with, is what I offer you this week and what I wish for everyone I know......Freedom From Want....I wish you all freedom from want, some happiness, a good day, a smile across the table such as the ones in the painting, and so on (welcome to the world for Issac and Allegra, the new babies in my circle).

Notice there is no excess in Rockwell's painting. There is also no texting, no computers lurking in the background (yes, I am computer dependent but not on a holiday, not even me), and no television - well, okay, so there are games but you get my point. It's not a perfect picture, but art should be of its time. Rockwell painted the America he knew.

And how we have changed. In Rockwell's painting everyone is Caucasian. No obvious piercings, tattoos, etc. The patriarch is wearing a suit and tie. (In my childhood, he wore a tee shirt and there were raviolis on the table but that's another blog) Now, perhaps, one of the guests would have a mohawk (ah, like the original Thanksgiving). Diversity was not in Rockwell's mind and it wasn't in the mind of the country when the painting was done. Well, it was but I think it was a secret. But the important message of the painting was unity. The people in the painting are communicating and sharing joy. They are together. One presumes no one was forgotten, that all invitations were sent and all were accepted, that the bird was large enough to share with neighbors less fortunate when the meal was done. There was the simple pride for being able to feed one's family, to celebrate with simple pleasures, and to look across the table at a smiling face. Maybe the bird wasn't so happy but that was who we were then. Now, hopefully, we've all grown, matured in our understanding of each other, our differences, our passions and talents, and have begun embracing them. I think its time, because as I age, I am more aware of deadlines.

With so much unleashed drama in the world, negative energy, naysayers and billboards (at least in Los Angeles) about 2012, doom and gloom (it's annoying, already) that my email inbox seems to receive despite my polite protests about political, religious, racist, anti-gay and.....oh, sorry, I digress.....:)

May we all have freedom from want. May we all trim the excess, be grateful to have faces smiling back at us from the other side of the table no matter what they look like, and may your bird, or tofurky, be big enough for leftovers. Let's get back to happiness, and maybe this time we can try it without judgment.......(my mother cringes in her heavenly home thinking "Oh, geez, be nice, fix your hair"...).

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Namaste'

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for finding me! I am glad you are reading my blog. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete