Friday, August 14, 2009

The Art of Living Fearlessly

A few days ago I was given a gift. This came on the heels of a conversation about being different, creative, living outside of the box, ceasing to be what is expected and choosing to be what and who one really is. It isn't always easy living outside of the box. It can be stressful, lonely, and often exhausting but it is never dull and always and without fail, it is worth the effort.


The imagination is an amazing place to live but it needs breathing room, places to fly to, journeys to take, battles to win, and it needs fearlessness. I can not think of a better way to live because for me, for many of my friends, for countless young people who are desperately trying to "fit in" and failing at it, there is a time when one recognizes that they are different, that the ordinary rules do not apply, can not apply, and should not apply. Some of us are renegades. Some of us are builders. Some of us are rule breakers. Some of us are peacemakers and healers but absolutely no one should ever have to live in a box of any sort at any time and if we do, we should be able to decorate it as we wish, call it what we want, and turn it into any object we choose because it is ours.


Published in 2006 as a children's book, Not A Box is something that you might want to read aloud to yourself slowly in a quiet room as a reminder of your long ago dreams. And if those dreams have come true, then congratulations, buy it for someone you love who might not remember how to dream, or perhaps a child who needs encouragement.


I love this gift. I cherish it and the people who gave it to me. I think it is safe to say that I am someone who does not live in a box, and for that I am utterly grateful. Life has always been an amazing journey and when I'm very old I will have great stories to tell (some of you know about the chicken accident already). I wish one of them could be as sweet as what Antoinette Portis has written in Not A Box....

NOT A BOX
Antoinette Portis


Go ahead, take a peek, you know you want to.......


Not a Box, Amazon.com



Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment